photo

Close to nine years ago, my mom shipped me a box of “stuff” that she cleared out of her attic.  The box contained my old baby clothes, a few toys, a Timex Sinclair 1000 computer (yes, I know), and a few other odds and ends.  My first thought was, “Why is she sending me this junk?”  Irritated, I packed the box back up and put it in the storage space – for some reason I didn’t have the heart to throw the things out.

Fast forward to 2014 and the start of my “decluttering the home” process, I ran across that old box.  This time around, going through that box was like discovering a treasure chest.  Those old baby clothes I previously rolled my eyes at, had me wishing I’d come across that box much sooner!  Ohh, the missed photo ops!  There are still a few items that my daughter can fit that I’m determined to get photos of her in.

Not wanting to just pack them all away again, I decided that I would frame one of my baby dresses, along with one of my daughter’s infant dresses.  Since I’m still decorating her room (over two years after her birth), I figured this would be perfect!

To get started, I purchased two shadow box frames and a pack of adhesive nylon dots tabs from Michaels.  I painted the frames to better match Petunia’s room’s décor – with a little help from Petunia herself.

IMG_0654[2]     IMG_0658

I selected a tea dress with embroidered flowers that I wore as a baby, and one of Petunia’s infant dresses to frame.

Infant Dress 1    Infant Dress 2

The final results…

IMG_0806

I know framing and preserving baby items is nothing new.  With time, I’ve come to realize how special it is to have family items that can be passed on to a new generation.  I just hope that as my daughter grows she will always have an appreciation for the items, and not after re-discovering them in an old box after she’s had a daughter of her own.  Who knows, maybe she’ll get to add a new dress to the collection.  🙂

Do you have a special family item that has been passed down from generation to generation?

26 Comments on Preserving Memories

1. Stephany
    March 20, 2014 at 1:02 pm (3 years ago)

This is such a great idea! I don’t have a family item that’s been passed down per se. I did repaint a chair that my grandparents used to sit on – does that count? And yesterday I grudgingly spent nearly 200.00 on a frame for a degree that the framer at michaels says can be passed down! For 200.00, yes it will be passed down!! Anyway – love the shadow box, love this post!
    Stephany recently posted…Allure of the SeasMy Profile

• beignetmamas
      March 21, 2014 at 6:39 pm (3 years ago)

Hey, chairs count too! I know families that have old rocking chairs that have been passed down. And I agree, for $200 that frame had better be passed down! LOL!

2. Samantha
    March 20, 2014 at 2:02 pm (3 years ago)

This is awesome! Your daughter is going to be so grateful that you did this! There are things I remember being in boxes and trunks growing up that eventually became too damaged. It has made me more aware of how I need to begin preserving some of these items that have slowly been passed to me.
    Samantha recently posted…Cake and Roses- A Story of First and Last DatesMy Profile

• beignetmamas
      March 21, 2014 at 6:43 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks! I really hope she’ll have a better appreciation of this stuff than I did. Preserving the items is key. I still need to find a better place for the other items that were left. I would hate for them to get damaged or dry rot.

3. Brandi
    March 20, 2014 at 2:08 pm (3 years ago)

That is sweet for my high school graduation my mother did a shadow box framing of my christening dress, a ring of hers, my grad pic and my birth announcement. I did have it in my daughters rooms while they were young. I hope I have a granddaughter to pass it on to. It is now in storage because it doesn’t match anything!
    Brandi recently posted…Happy Spring & Throw Back Thursday Recipe!My Profile

4. Rochelle
    March 21, 2014 at 4:30 am (3 years ago)

What a great idea! My mom keeps sending me stuff and I have no idea what to do with it. It always seems she sends it to me just after I’ve decluttered and organized and now have no place for this “stuff.” I’m going to have to go through it and figure out a great way to showcase some of my favorite pieces. I especially love that you have yours and your daughter’s side by side! Thanks for the idea!!
    Rochelle recently posted…Learn ASL in 31 Days :: Day 19My Profile

• Polly
      May 2, 2016 at 9:38 am (1 year ago)

Well I guess I don’t have to spend the weekend finugirg this one out!

• ksk ludwigsburg kreditkarte sperren
      October 19, 2016 at 4:08 pm (8 months ago)

nice, my dad always loved his 96 LT-1 Camaro SS, and I always hated putting new plugs/wires and opti-spark on it. he just recently traded it in for a new Camaro SS though

November 3, 2016 at 10:47 am (8 months ago)

Hi Ferdie,I came across your website through a recommendation. I have always been interested in photography. Some pictures on your website are absolutely stunning! You should certainly set up shop here in the US!I will share your information with a few of my friends who might be interested in your work!Thanks!

• www kredit chat de whatsapp
      February 9, 2017 at 6:19 pm (4 months ago)

The Damsel Flies May 6th meeting will be held at Alton Baker Park (weather permitting). We will have casting practice and Janet Dunn will review some handy fishing knots. Remember, you will need a fishing license if you use a fly when practicing. If we have really bad weather we will retreat to the Caddis Fly Shop. Meeting starts at 6:00 p.m.

5. Kim @ WampumHome
    March 22, 2014 at 11:33 am (3 years ago)

What a precious memory. Your daughter will be thrilled to have this some day in her own home.. and who knows maybe 3 generations from now they will be reading archives of your blog and update with grandchildren and great grandchildren.. I always think how amazing it is that when our grandparents and parents did/made/saved things all those years ago did they ever imagine they would be sharing with the world their beautiful memories! What a tribute to your childhood to have this post!
    Kim @ WampumHome recently posted…Bodhi n Dharma’s list.My Profile

6. Amber via A Mused Blog
    March 30, 2014 at 4:50 am (3 years ago)

Oh my goodness, this made my ovaries hurt (in a good way). What a beautiful and creative way to preserve memories! I love this idea. If/when I have children, I certainly hope that this is an idea that I will remember.

7. a
    June 22, 2014 at 9:33 pm (3 years ago)

This is really interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger.
    I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your great
    post. Also, I have shared your website in my social networks!
    a recently posted…aMy Profile

8. Love CompassionateLee
    November 4, 2014 at 6:37 pm (3 years ago)

This is a lovely idea! Perhaps, when I have a daughter, I’ll frame my christening dress next to hers. Happy Tuesday and many blessings to you, Kennie 🙂

9. Tata
    August 14, 2015 at 6:45 pm (2 years ago)

This is so sweet! I wish I had some old memorable for my little girls room. Guard these dresses with your life, they make very special family heirlooms.
    Tata recently posted…Are You Watching Atlanta Plastic?My Profile

• Estella
      May 2, 2016 at 9:46 am (1 year ago)

I have been so beriwdeled in the past but now it all makes sense!

June 5, 2016 at 8:46 pm (1 year ago)

Parce que les pesticides et autres saletés « retenus » dans la bande de 5m, ils vont s’y « auto-confiner » jusqu’à la fin des temps?Le droit « bobo-pseudo-environnemental » c’est bien joli mais la réalité hydro-bio-chimique rattrapera vite les bureaucrates et les gogos.

July 20, 2016 at 3:19 pm (11 months ago)

Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I’m impressed! Very helpful information particularly the last part I care for such info much. I was seeking this particular info for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

• kredit berechnung zins tilgung
      February 8, 2017 at 3:31 pm (5 months ago)

Piano piano le persone cominciano a prendere coscienza di questi problemi..e infatti i risultati si vedono nell’incrementare delle produzioni biologiche e della vendita diretta dal produttore al consumatore 🙂 bisogna sostenere in tutto e per tutto queste politiche e lasciarci alle spalle un passato di caramelle gommose e sapori chimici!! ne va della nostra salute e di quella della Terra

10. Charla
    May 2, 2016 at 8:26 am (1 year ago)

dunia nyata dan dunia maya. Semua din.tuhkabu. Ehh mo tanya mas… Itu biar emotionnya biar bisa di atas text area.. apa yg diganti ya??? ama itu yg di input nama,email ma site, gimana cara nampilin image-nya.. kasih info ya mas… aq tunggu. kl bisa sih kunjungan balik

11. car insurance
    May 16, 2016 at 12:34 am (1 year ago)

That insight’s perfect for what I need. Thanks!

12. http://www.streetrefugee.com/
    July 10, 2016 at 3:42 pm (12 months ago)

JAJAJA Me ha encantado el artículo. Por cierto, el año pasado el masaje fue gratis. Se ve que este año han decidido hacer aún más negocio del humo. Ciao!

13. http://www./
    November 4, 2016 at 8:45 pm (8 months ago)

I won’t be pinning my hopes and dreams for this so called miracle drug that solves all, either… Also nice information about identifying stressors and discussing how they can affect one’s treatment. Amen to problem solving and gaining better coping skills in therapy!!!

14. http://www./
    December 30, 2016 at 3:12 am (6 months ago)

;“There are 47% of the people who will vote for the president no matter what,” Romney tells the gathering. “All right, there are 47% who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that’s an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what.” “My job is not to worry about those people. I’ll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.”