Happy Valentine’s Day Y’all!  Battling all of these northeast winter storms, and just having had to shovel nearly a foot of snow makes me long for New Orleans – where today’s high will be in the mid-60’s.  (Jealous)  One of the home-town treats that I’ve been missing are pralines, or “pecan candy” as native New Orleanians call it.  It’s usually my staple souvenir whenever I travel home and friends or co-workers ask me to bring them something back.

To give you a bit of history, according to New Orleans Historical, pralines originated in 17th century  France when the chef of César, duc de Choiseul, comte du Plessis-Praslin coated almonds with sugar. French settlers in Louisiana brought the praline tradition with them.  African-American cooks working in the French colonists’ kitchens transformed the sugared-almond praline. Because of their abundance, pecans replaced almonds and milk was added. The final product was the sweet, creamy patty filled with pecans that we love today.

My grandmother made these treats for us growing up. Wanting my little one to always know her Louisiana roots, I’ve made some to enjoy since we’re all housebound due to the snow.

Kennie’s Pecan Candy:

½ stick of butter

2 cups sugar

1 cup brown sugar

½ cup sweetened condensed milk

½ cup milk

1 tsp. vanilla

¼ tsp. salt

1 cup pecan pieces (add more to your liking)

Melt butter in a medium sized sauce pan.  Stir in the sugar, brown sugar, milk, vanilla and salt.  Slowly bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally.  When the mixture reaches 240 degrees on a candy thermometer (or the soft ball stage), remove from heat and stir in pecans.  Scoop out and drop large spoonfuls of the mixture onto parchment paper.  Let cool and enjoy!

Fun Fact: Pralines are pronounced “prah-leen” or “praw-leen” in Louisiana, and “pray-leen” everywhere else in the U.S.  🙂

Have you ever tried praline candy?  (Praline & Cream ice cream doesn’t count.)  What’s your favorite sweet treat?

18 Comments on Foodie Friday: Louisiana Pralines

1. Alicia
    February 14, 2014 at 6:17 pm (4 years ago)

These look SOOOOOO freakin’ YUMMYYYYY!! I just want to steal a couple and run. LOL I can’t have this in my house. I will eat them ALL!

• beignetmamas
      February 15, 2014 at 10:12 pm (4 years ago)

LOL!!! Thanks Alicia! You sound like my husband. He bagged them up and put them away, without telling me where they were. As if they were is own personal stash!

2. Brandi
    February 14, 2014 at 6:18 pm (4 years ago)

Those sound delightful! I can’t believe I didn’t pick some up when I was visiting NOLA in November! I must go back for another visit soon. Stay warm!!!

• beignetmamas
      February 15, 2014 at 10:44 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Brandi! You must try them, they are delicious! In New Orleans, you can find them in a variety of flavors like rum, chocolate, maple, etc.

• beignetmamas
      February 15, 2014 at 10:46 pm (4 years ago)

Hi Kristen, yes they are very easy! The biggest thing is watching the temperature on that candy thermometer, and then not wasting time spooning them on the parchment.

• beignetmamas
      February 15, 2014 at 10:49 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Natalie! I too like learning the history of certain things. I hope you enjoy them! Let me know how yours turn out!

3. Missy Kierstead
    February 14, 2014 at 9:13 pm (4 years ago)

I’ll have to give these a try. I’m pretty sure I have all those ingredients, too! That’s always a plus. I love learning little bits of trivia. Thanks for sharing both the recipe and the history.
    Missy Kierstead recently posted…Behind the Scenes: Blogging Lessons LearnedMy Profile

• beignetmamas
      February 15, 2014 at 10:57 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Missy! Fortunately I had all the ingredients too, otherwise with a snow storm going on, they would not have been made. You have to try them out, and let me know how you like them!

4. Kim @ WampumHome
    February 15, 2014 at 1:23 pm (4 years ago)

Oh, I love when others share from their past and wonder what their grandparents or other special relatives would have thought when they made this… would it some day be shared quite literally with the world! I just have to try these and bring them in to work.. I’ll be sure to share the history and of course while eating they should be pronounced.. praw leen! <3
    Kim @ WampumHome recently posted…Bodhi n Dharma’s list.My Profile

• beignetmamas
      February 15, 2014 at 11:01 pm (4 years ago)

Hi Kim! That’s right, share the Louisiana pronunciation! LOL! I have such fond memories of my grandmother making these for us. She wouldn’t make them too often, but when she did it was such a treat! They didn’t last very long either.

• beignetmamas
      March 7, 2014 at 4:09 am (3 years ago)

Yours and mine both! Although my husband wiped them out! I managed to get one whole one out of the bunch. LOL!

5. Kenya G. Johnson
    March 6, 2014 at 10:03 pm (3 years ago)

Girl I can tear these up. Therefore I only make them once a year for gifts. I was taught by my Louisiana born husband. I make them better than him now. It’s interesting our recipes vary – I use 3 cups of regular sugar 1 TBSP of brown sugar and one whole can of carnation milk. Perhaps the difference is in the name and region? His family calls them Pecan PAH-Khan candy. And me being from SC, I call them PEE-Can candy 😉
    Kenya G. Johnson recently posted…LEAVE ME ALONE!My Profile

• beignetmamas
      March 7, 2014 at 4:06 am (3 years ago)

OMG Kenya, the folks in my family pronounce them the same way, PAH-Khan candy! LOL! Praline is actually like the “proper” term to use. Hee hee hee…

6. Kimberly
    April 17, 2014 at 7:58 pm (3 years ago)

This brings back memories! My arm would hurt so bad from being made to stand over the stove and stir while my mother did other things. LOL At the time, we had a woodblock countertop that you could drop the pralines directly onto for them to cool. I’m pinning this recipe, girl.
    Kimberly recently posted…My Tag is ShowingMy Profile

7. Enriqueta
    November 10, 2014 at 3:46 am (3 years ago)

Hi my loved one! I wish to say that this post
    is amazing, nice written and come with almost all important
    infos. I would like to peer more posts like this .
    Enriqueta recently posted…EnriquetaMy Profile