On Thursday, December 5th, the world lost a great man.  Former South African President Nelson Mandela passed away, leaving a legacy of courage and strength.  Fighting against and dismantling the South African system of apartheid, Mandela led a nation, impacted the world, and provided inspiration for many along the way.   This Nobel Peace Prize laureate preached peace and reconciliation in spite of having been imprisoned for 27 years for fighting for what he believed in.

I was a freshman in college when Mandela was released from prison. I can remember how the student body cheered when it was announced that he had finally been released from prison.  It was such an awesome experience, being able to witness this.  I was young and could only hope to have a fraction of his courage and strength – still do.  We need more men like him today.  With his health recently failing, we knew this day would come; however, nothing can take away the great sense of loss.

As the world reflects on the life of this great man, I would like to reflect on the following quotes from Nelson Mandela:

“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”

“We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?”

“As I have said, the first thing is to be honest with yourself. You can never have an impact on society if you have not changed yourself… Great peacemakers are all people of integrity, of honesty, but humility.”

“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”

“No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.”

Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela

1918 – 2013

Rest in Peace

18 Comments on Remembering Nelson Mandela

1. Kim @ WampumHome
    December 6, 2013 at 1:19 pm (4 years ago)

Rest in Peace Nelson Mandela. His lessons, his struggles will be part of the word for lifetimes. I was always most touched by how beautiful his soul was and his smile, you could look at that smile, hear his voice and feel their greatness.
    Kim @ WampumHome recently posted…Unopened GiftMy Profile

• beignetmamas
      December 6, 2013 at 1:37 pm (4 years ago)

Kim that is so true! He had such a beautiful spirit that shined through whenever you saw him. His impact on the world was priceless. We all can learn from his life’s story.

2. Rebekah
    December 6, 2013 at 2:05 pm (4 years ago)

I love the last quote. I hope I raise my children to love others. We don’t have to like everyone but we do need to show everyone love. {By like I am referring to personality, habits, etc, not race. God created each and every on of us, a good artist doesn’t make every piece exactly the same, he makes each you unique and beautiful.}
    Rebekah recently posted…Sleep is a Beautiful ThingMy Profile

• Rebekah
      December 6, 2013 at 2:06 pm (4 years ago)

Did you change your theme recently? I love the pink and the font fir your header. 🙂
      Rebekah recently posted…Sleep is a Beautiful ThingMy Profile

• beignetmamas
        December 11, 2013 at 11:37 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you! Yes, I changed it recently. I love your quote, “A good artist doesn’t make every piece exactly the same.” And God definitely doesn’t make any mistakes!

3. Missy Kierstead
    December 6, 2013 at 8:18 pm (4 years ago)

I’m also a fan of the last quote. Thanks for sharing your experience and for sharing the words of a brilliant, courageous and inspiring man.
    Missy Kierstead recently posted…Creativity and ExpressionMy Profile

4. Adelien
    December 7, 2013 at 1:30 am (4 years ago)

I love Mandala too. Those quotes are really great. He is a really brave hero. How the world has lost for him. His spirit should be everlasting. Let’s wait some other “Mandela”
    Adelien recently posted…10 Things To Do To Close and To Start Our SemesterMy Profile

5. Cherie @ incherieswords.com
    December 8, 2013 at 6:52 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you for this beautiful tribute. He was definitely a great man who will be remembered for centuries to come. He was such a strong man who kept smiling through everything and that’s someone, everyone should look up to. I love the last quote. Just beautiful!! Thanks for sharing.
    Cherie @ incherieswords.com recently posted…To Wreath or Not To Wreath (25 Days of Blogging)My Profile

• Elmira
      May 2, 2016 at 1:07 pm (1 year ago)

Haha. I woke up down today. You’ve chereed me up!

August 31, 2016 at 2:30 am (12 months ago)

us:what you call spit ballsi call spitting truthsand here is the thing:calling me names will never dilute by saliva or my sanityit is insane to worship obama for EXTENDING EVERY deed of gwbthat is ALL he has done to datefyiab

6. Jill @ Called To Be A Mom
    December 9, 2013 at 7:30 pm (4 years ago)

Nelson was a man of honor and courage. He was a noble man that did amazing things. His character was one that we would all want more to follow!

7. Lan
    July 7, 2014 at 4:59 pm (3 years ago)

I see a lot of interesting content on your website.
    You have to spend a lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of time, there is a tool that creates
    unique, google friendly articles in couple of seconds, just search in google – laranita’s free content source
    Lan recently posted…LanMy Profile

8. Kitty
    September 10, 2014 at 3:18 am (3 years ago)

I read a lot of interesting articles here. Probably you spend a
    lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of time, there is an online tool that creates readable, google friendly articles in seconds, just type in google – k2seotips unlimited content
    Kitty recently posted…KittyMy Profile

9. weight loss
    January 7, 2015 at 10:06 am (3 years ago)

Interesting info you post on your blog, i have shared this article
    on my facebook
    weight loss recently posted…weight lossMy Profile

10. 76Aida
    August 13, 2017 at 12:29 am (1 week ago)

Hello blogger, i must say you have very interesting articles here.
    Your blog should go viral. You need initial traffic only.
    How to get it? Search for; Mertiso’s tips go viral