soul-food-dinner

If there is one thing that I am thankful for is family. Thanksgiving is the major family get-together holiday. Many people love this time of year, while others hate it. Some folks are fortunate enough to have families that can come together and enjoy each others company, and then some are not so fortunate.  I’ve known folks where one section of the family doesn’t get along with the other, and it’s cause for a Thanksgiving filled with tension.

As my family is scattered across the country, we don’t always have the opportunity to all get together at once. I really miss the days back in New Orleans where during the holidays we would all migrate from one house to another. It was like a never ending party, filled with good food, laughs and fun.

I now spend Thanksgiving with the family members I have here on the East coast. My aunt, who’s the host and a fabulous party thrower, always has a house full of folks. From family members to those friends without family in the area, she makes everyone feel so welcome and at home. You would never be able to tell who’s family and who’s not.

The movie Soul Food was always my ideal for family gatherings, plenty of food, talk and laughs – the more the merrier! Through members of my East coast family, that ideal was able to be realized once again.
I am thankful that my daughter is now a part of this yearly tradition. I want her to know the importance of family togetherness, as well as the importance of giving thanks.

What about you? Does your family have a Thanksgiving tradition?

17 Comments on Thursday Thanks: Thanksgiving Gatherings

1. Kim @ WampumHome
    November 29, 2013 at 11:32 am (4 years ago)

I know what you mean when family all lived closer. My brothers are much further away and while they try to come home when able, it’s a long trip and they tend to come home at Christmas or a summer vacation. I think it’s important to share what memories we have with our children. My daughter grew up to be an amazing cook, loves entertaining for holidays. This was her first year not hosting Thanksgiving in about ten years. I’m wondering if she is missing the chaos (and leftovers..!!). Hope you had a wonderful day! and yes, I loved the whole idea of the movie ‘Soul Food” also 🙂
    Kim @ WampumHome recently posted…SEVEN. 7 Things About MeMy Profile

• beignetmamas
      November 30, 2013 at 12:17 am (4 years ago)

Thank you Kim! I hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving as well. This year, we had such an amazing time that it reminded me of just how important family me. My daughter is the youngest in the family right now, as well as the life of the party. I can see that she’s enjoying the family gatherings just as much as I am.

2. adelien
    December 1, 2013 at 3:43 am (4 years ago)

We don’t have Thanksgiving celebration here, but I really love to see many blogs featuring their thanksgiving activity, especially meals with families. Being thankful is something really important to do to make our life more contented and happy.
    adelien recently posted…Having Meals Together as A FamilyMy Profile

• beignetmamas
      December 2, 2013 at 7:18 pm (4 years ago)

Adelien, you’re right. Being thankful is so important in life. If more people were thankful for what they have, where they are, or how far they’ve come in life, so many issues would be eliminated.

• beignetmamas
      December 2, 2013 at 7:22 pm (4 years ago)

I’ve never hosted Thanksgiving dinner before, but I would love to. Right now I do not have enough space to accomodate everyone. Hopefully somewhere down the road I will be able to.

3. Jill @ Called To Be A Mom
    December 2, 2013 at 12:57 am (4 years ago)

I love Thanksgiving and spending time with family! So much to be grateful for! I hope everyone can be grateful for something.
    Jill @ Called To Be A Mom recently posted…DIY Christmas OrnamentsMy Profile

• beignetmamas
      December 2, 2013 at 7:24 pm (4 years ago)

I know what you mean! Thanksgiving this year renewed my love for family. We all had such a good time together. I think it gives everyone something good to look forward to.

• beignetmamas
      December 2, 2013 at 8:02 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Kristen! We had that problem about two years ago. Two different family members wanted to host Thanksgiving dinner, and neither one one would budge! Everyone had to split their time between two different houses. Fortunately they didn’t live very far from each other. LOL!

4. Natalie
    December 3, 2013 at 5:50 pm (4 years ago)

My grandmother in Arkansas is the merriest soul in the family. She is a “more the merrier” kind and my very favorite relative! While my husband and I do not have close family, we enjoy people we have “adopted” as family. I agree in being thankful for what we have. Gratitude is the only way to live a happy life.
    Natalie recently posted…Crochet For Charity and Contests To Win Yarn!My Profile

• beignetmamas
      December 6, 2013 at 1:26 pm (4 years ago)

Natalie, I’m becoming a more the merrier type of person too. It’s just so much fun that way – for me. I can remember my last two major vacations (cruises), we invited a number of family and friends to come along, and we had a ball!

5. Kenya G. Johnson
    December 3, 2013 at 9:50 pm (4 years ago)

I’ve always lived away from family too and can’t ever remember a “Soul Food” sit down occasion. I can’t believe I can’t remember Thanksgiving at my grandmother’s because I know I lived there for at least one and she was the type of woman that would have put the leaf in the dining room table and put the silver out. We’ve been to my husbands side of the family for Thanksgiving in Louisiana and everyone doesn’t eat at the same time. His dad might be eating at 9:00 in the morning if everything is ready.
    Kenya G. Johnson recently posted…Here’s the Season…My Profile

• beignetmamas
      December 6, 2013 at 1:29 pm (4 years ago)

That definitely sounds familiar. My family in Louisiana didn’t all eat at the same time either, hence the going from house to house. We ate a little bit here, and a little bit there. We’d start at one house, gather those folks and then we’d all move on to the next house. Oh and this year, at my house, we started on the ham the night before – just couldn’t help it. LOL!

6. Vee
    December 4, 2013 at 6:22 pm (4 years ago)

The only “tradition” we have, is the food that’s served. Since we are scattered, it’s hard to get together to have a tradition.
    I know you were thankful to be with loved ones.

• beignetmamas
      December 6, 2013 at 1:31 pm (4 years ago)

Yes I was! Being away from home, for a while I really didn’t have family to spend the holidays with. Now that I do, I’ve really gotten into the tradition.

7. Melanie
    December 18, 2013 at 6:46 pm (4 years ago)

That movie sure is the epitome of what most people envision their Thanksgiving to be like.
    Melanie recently posted…Wordless WednesdayMy Profile