family

The one thing I am thankful for is family.  Many people have certain criteria when it comes to who is considered to be a part of their family.  For some, it’s only immediate family, or only blood relatives, or those who married into their family.  For me, family is not just blood relatives or those related by marriage.  Having lived away from home for so long, family now includes the friends I’ve made along the way.  And for them, I am truly thankful.

There are my childhood friends from the neighborhood, that are STILL my friends to this day.  Even though we’ve all live in different cities, they are definitely a part of my family.  We’ve traveled together, visited each other, become god-parents to some of each others children, and now we’re making a point to ensure our kids become life-long friends.

My freshman year at Howard University I met many that would also become a part of my family.  From my freshman year roommate whose parents would always include goodies for me when they sent her care packages, to my college besties who either flew across country or drove hundreds of miles to be with me for my baby shower.  Those are the sisters I never had.

At my first real job while I was in college, there was the lady in the office who became my Mom-Away-from-Home”.  She treated me like I was one of her daughters, and she even attended my destination wedding over 10 years later.

My linesisters and sorors of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. have become my newest extension of family.  From the baby shower celebrations, to the weddings, to the community service activites, these ladies have shown me the true meaning of sisterhood.

There are many more, that have been there for me, have adopted me into their families, given me much needed advice, and have taken on the role of parent when my own were not available.  I am so grateful that I am not only able to call these individuals friend, but extended family. For all of them I am truly thankful.

What about you.  Are there individuals in your life that you consider to be a part of the family?

16 Comments on Thursday Thanks: Extended Family

1. Rebekah
    November 21, 2013 at 2:44 pm (3 years ago)

My parents always allowed our friends to come over and hang out, so I have several friends who are now my adopted siblings. With several of my friends we joked that they lived at our house more than theirs. 🙂 I’m thankful that my parents allowed friends over, thankful for my friends who put up with my parents and thankful for the example my parents were not only to me, but to so many young people in our community.
    Rebekah recently posted…Tips for a Healthy Ceserean Section RecoveryMy Profile

• beignetmamas
      November 22, 2013 at 5:47 pm (3 years ago)

Rebekah, that’s awesome! That sounds like the neighborhood I grew up in. We were always in and out of each others houses. I hope that as my daughter gets older and starts to gain friends, our home can be as welcoming as you’ve described yours to have been.

2. Cherie @ incherieswords.com
    November 21, 2013 at 3:31 pm (3 years ago)

I would love to say I had extended family, but sadly I don’t. My immediate family all live far away and my husband’s family have become my family and close friends. But in regards to having friends outside of that, I have two really great neighbors and that’s about it. Though I don’t see them as much because of my kids schedules during the week and weekend and their work schedules. Sadly, I wish I had an extended family but I am Thankful for those who I do have in my life!
    Cherie @ incherieswords.com recently posted…Moody Mother NatureMy Profile

• beignetmamas
      November 22, 2013 at 5:52 pm (3 years ago)

Cherie, it’s never too late to gain extended family. Mine developed because I really didn’t have any immediate family close by at the time. Fortunately you do have your husband’s family that you’re close with. I too only have about two neighbors that I’m really good friends with. Sometimes I think I need to expand that circle. This is the first neighborhood I’ve lived in where I really don’t know my neighbors.

3. Lorelai @ Life With Lorelai
    November 21, 2013 at 5:51 pm (3 years ago)

You are so right, Kennie! Family is more relationship of love, caring, and support. Sometimes, blood ties don;t even truly make you family of the person is not willing to have a relationship. I know that with my daughter having over 100 hospitalizations in her life (and for the most part being in a hospital over 50-miles from home), the nurses, doctors and other hospital staff definitely became family for us. I do not know what we would have done without their love and support over the years. They are truly FAMILY! 🙂 And, we too are very grateful and thankful for them.

~Lorelai
    Life With Lorelai
    Lorelai @ Life With Lorelai recently posted…2-Hour Turkey for Thanksgiving – Printable RecipeMy Profile

• beignetmamas
      November 22, 2013 at 5:59 pm (3 years ago)

Lorelai, you couldn’t said it better! Sometimes blood ties don’t truly make you family! I know plenty of people who can honestly say that their friends have treated them better than their own family members. This is an unfortunate reality for many people. I’ve learned that people are placed in our lives for a reason, and to be grateful for them and their support.

• beignetmamas
      November 22, 2013 at 6:02 pm (3 years ago)

Exactly! I believe that sometimes God makes it where that new person is the one that has your blessings.

• beignetmamas
      November 22, 2013 at 6:04 pm (3 years ago)

Carli, so many people find that difficult to comprehend, but it’s true. I am so thankful for those people who I now consider family. If it wasn’t for some of them, my life would have taken a totally different path that I did not need to be on.

4. Lourdes
    November 21, 2013 at 11:43 pm (3 years ago)

I consider a couple of my neighbors as part of our family. There are neighbors that Is till to this day keep in touch with, and new neighbors that we have gotten to know these past seven years who are just awesome people. we acknowledge each other during the holidays and watch out for each others families. Its great! I also consider my church friends as my family. were always confiding in each other, and praying for each other. Most definitely!
    Lourdes recently posted…Join Ebates for Free & Earn Double Cash Back! Plus A $10 GC Bonus!!My Profile

• beignetmamas
      November 22, 2013 at 6:08 pm (3 years ago)

I’ve got to do better with the neighbor thing. I still don’t know very many of my current neighbors. Now the neighbors in the community where I grew up, I still keep in contact with. These are the people who fed us, protected us and reprimanded us when necessary. When I go home, I stop by for a visit – it just wouldn’t feel right if I didn’t.

5. Kim @ WampumHome
    November 21, 2013 at 11:48 pm (3 years ago)

So very true. Extended family is the best, the one’s you ‘chose’, the ones that add ‘flavor’ to our relationships. Through the amazing world of social networking I’ve been able to reconnect with some very special people from long ago <3 and blessed enough to have some nearby for sharing special memories.

• beignetmamas
      November 22, 2013 at 6:16 pm (3 years ago)

You’re right! While you can’t choose your family, extended family members are the ones that you actually get to choose. Social media has definitely been a big help for me in reconnecting and staying connected with those in my extended family.

• beignetmamas
      November 26, 2013 at 2:59 pm (3 years ago)

They ARE wonderful! I know I wouldn’t be as far as I am in life without them.