Higher 3
Source

Growing up, I learned a lot by trial and error.  There are so many things that I sometimes wish I could go back and do over.  A few years ago I decided that going forward, I would no longer have any regrets.  As a result, I’ve been taking more risks, doing what makes me happy, and enjoying every minute of it!  In the fourth installment of 30 Things My Kids Should Know About Me, I am sharing today 10 things that I would tell my 16-year-old self if I could.

1. You are perfect just the way you are.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way you look, so stop hiding.
  2. Enjoy your teenage years, this is the last time you’ll be bill-free.
  3. Don’t be afraid to take chances, you’ll never know the wonderful opportunities that await if you play it safe all the time.
  4. Don’t change who you are to accommodate other people and their insecurities.
  5. Don’t be in a rush to grow up. (See #2)
  6. If someone doesn’t like you for no apparent reason, it’s okay.  There’s probably something about you that they wish they had.
  7. Don’t be fooled by slick talkers who can quote bible scriptures at the drop of a hat.  The devil goes to church on Sunday too.
  8. Don’t allow fear to hinder you from reaching your goals.
  9. True friends aren’t going anywhere.  They’ll always be there for you, no matter how many miles separate you.
  10. Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do something.  Just because they can’t doesn’t mean it applies to you.

What about you?  What would you tell your teenaged self if you could?

13 Comments on Hey You… 16 Year Old, Listen Up!

1. survivingtoddlerhood.com
    November 7, 2013 at 12:10 am (4 years ago)

I think I would tell myself to smile more and not be so serious about everything. Life is to short to be serious all the time.

November 7, 2013 at 6:43 pm (4 years ago)

Good advice! I’m guilty of needing to smile more myself.

2. CardStalker
    November 7, 2013 at 1:18 am (4 years ago)

Forget about boys!!!! Keep your eye on the prize.

November 7, 2013 at 6:50 pm (4 years ago)

Now that’s a good one! For many teens, the opposite sex can be the ultimate derailment.

November 7, 2013 at 7:12 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Eric! I’ll have to remember this for my daughter when she reaches this age.

3. Jill @ Called To Be A Mom
    November 7, 2013 at 2:08 pm (4 years ago)

This is great advice. I’m sure I would do things a little different in the teenage years. I think my advice would be start a business while your parents are still flipping the bill. Be an entrepreneur.

November 7, 2013 at 7:14 pm (4 years ago)

Entrepreneurship is great advice! This would also eliminate all the student loan bills. Ohh, if we could turn back the hands of time…

4. Be-Quoted.com
    November 8, 2013 at 4:33 am (4 years ago)

I would tell my teenage self to seek out a mentor and listen as if your life depends on it! She would give me a side eye and go about her business. *sigh* (SN: Your gifts are finally ready and will be mailed to you by Monday!)

November 8, 2013 at 4:55 am (4 years ago)

And there’s the sad reality. Most teens think adults don’t know what they’re talking about. I know a mentor would have been excellent for me, but I’m sure my 16 year old know-it-all self would have thought I didn’t need one.

5. Britton
    November 8, 2013 at 7:32 pm (4 years ago)

I love all of these! ESPECIALLY #2! I would LOVE to go back to a time when there were NO bills! LOL! I wholehearted agree with #9 as well. I’m thankful to still be friends with those that I was friends with since Elementary school.

November 8, 2013 at 10:12 pm (4 years ago)

Britton, you and I both! I think I’d be happy to go back to when I just had HALF the bills I do now. I too am still in contact with my friends from Elementary school. We all have kids around the same age, and we want to make sure that they all know each other and are friends too.

• Lesa
        April 23, 2017 at 3:06 am (6 months ago)

Felt so hopeless looking for answers to my qu.insons..euttil now.