Today, Kimberly over at Being A Wordsmith blog has asked us what are some myths that people have/had about us.
Most people think that I’m antisocial, but I’m not – I call it a slightly shy, quiet observer.  I think before I speak, so I don’t just talk for the sake of talking.  Some folks are naturally motor mouths – that’s just not me.  But if I’m in a comfortable environment, and I’m on a roll, you’ll be wondering, “Does this girl ever shut up???”  LOL
This brings me to the second myth, folks that don’t know me think that I’m stuck up.  People falsely interpret my naturally quiet demeanor as being stuck up or standoff-ish.  I used to try to go out of my way to smile more, talk to strangers at gatherings just so I wouldn’t be viewed as such.  These days I don’t care much anymore.  If you like me, you like me, if you don’t, you don’t.  Get to know me before jumping to conclusions!

Source
The BIGGEST and craziest myth that I’ve encountered are from folks who think that because I’m from New Orleans, I must practice voodoo.  (insert blank stare here)  The first time this came up was during my freshman year at Howard University.  I remember there was a guy from New York who hung out with the same folks that I did.  A group of us were sitting in the cafeteria talking, and somehow my hometown came up.  Mr. New York stopped in his tracks, his eyes got big, and the conversation went something like this:
New York:  Wait, you’re from New Orleans???
Me:  Yes.
New York:  Aww man.  I heard about folks like you!
Me:  Huh?  (looking confused)
New York:  Yo, my pops told me to stay away from folks like you.
Me:   Folks like me??? (looking really confused)
New York:  You women from New Orleans, y’all do that voodoo sh#t!
At that point, I truly had no words.  Don’t you know after that, that joker avoided me all 4 years we were there?!?!  Well this was not the last time, I’ve gotten this from many more folks – not the fear and avoidance, but just the questioning.  I’ve had people ask me about voodoo dolls (like I know how to make them), spells (you might fare better reading Harry Potter), and if I know about the voodoo priestess Marie Laveau
Well guess what?  NO, I don’t know about voodoo, voodoo dolls, spells, potions, or anything like it!  BUT, what I will tell you is that this fall on the F/X Network, the talented Angela Bassett will be potraying the infamous Marie Laveau on the 3rd season of American Horror Story.  (prepare yourself before clicking on that last link)
What about you?  What are some myths that folks have about you?

September Sapphire Blog Challenge Prompt:  List 3 to 5 myths that people have/had about you and list the facts that prove the myths to be false.

10 Comments on Yes I’m from New Orleans, No I do NOT Practice Voodoo!

1. Joi @ Rx Fitness Lady
    September 26, 2013 at 4:49 pm (4 years ago)

OMG Kennie! I will reserve my comments for the first 2 myths. You were all in my head. Just wait to you read my post scheduled for tomorrow. I am still sticking with my M,W,F schedule…thus the renegade Sapphire challenge (post when I want to) participant.

As for the voodoo, people are slap crazy! I guess bc I don’t believe in it, I would never make that type of assumption.

September 26, 2013 at 6:37 pm (4 years ago)

Uh oh! Okay I’ll be looking for your post tomorrow.

Joi, you have no idea! Yes, people are crazy. I don’t understand the fascination with the voodoo stuff. Of all the things that New Orleans is known for, that’s what I get hit with the most. LOL

2. Kenya G. Johnson
    September 26, 2013 at 6:48 pm (4 years ago)

Dang LOL! I w/ Joi. I would never make that assumption. HOWEVER, different judgement/myth. When I met my husband who was in the Marines – after I found out he was a Marine. I said, “I’m not dating a Marine. They are CRAZY.” Not the case with mine 😉 People have also thought I was stuck up and confessed it later after they got to know me.

September 27, 2013 at 12:55 pm (4 years ago)

LOL!!! I had the SAME thoughts about Marines too! Having previously lived not too far from Quantico, I ran across a few that changed that belief. Although I do know some that I would consider “special”. LOL
      I don’t get the stuck up assumptions. I’m beginning to think that when people make that conclusion without even knowing you, it’s probably something about you that intimidates them.

3. Shawnna Silvius
    September 26, 2013 at 7:05 pm (4 years ago)

Ha ha ha. . . your title at Being a Wordsmith had me laughing before I even arrived! I knew it must be one of you Louisiana girls. People are just plain crazy.

September 27, 2013 at 5:24 pm (4 years ago)

I am over here cracking up, Kennie!

#1 I came thisclose to putting “voodoo” in the title of MY post. Yes, crazy folks think that about people from Louisiana.

#2 Can’t tell you how many times I’ve been called “stuck up”. And I’m a very observant person too. I sit back and let others go to town unless I’m comfortable with them. Then I run my mouth. LOL

#3 I will be watching American Horror Story this season b/c of Angela Bassett and the storyline. Found out about it just the other day. I watched the first season which I really liked. Big Jessica Lange fan. But I didn’t watch the second season when I learned most of the cast would change and it was going to be set in an asylum. I’ll be tuning in again though.

Thanks for linking up and sharing!

September 28, 2013 at 9:13 pm (4 years ago)

LOL! Isn’t it crazy what folks come up with???

I can’t wait until American Horror Story starts up this season! It will be interesting how they handle the story for this season, considering it’s based on a true story. I didn’t watch the second season either – the insane asylum wasn’t that appealing to me. I know one thing, Jessica Lange is an AWESOME actress!

5. B. Jenkins
    September 29, 2013 at 3:11 pm (4 years ago)

I can soooo relate to your second myth because people think the same about me! I am very quiet when I first meet people and as a result, they think I am stuck up! When you get to know me though…like you…I never shut up! LOL!

6. Natalie
    October 6, 2013 at 5:03 pm (4 years ago)

People have so many misconceptions about others. Having always felt like a misfit, it was necessary to become comfortable in my own skin. No matter how polite one is, sometimes people will just not “gee and haw”. In this case, just keep shining anyway!