Eve’s Bayou.  Oh how I LOVE this movie!  Let’s see, Eve’s Bayou is a movie that, for me, provides an escape.  An escape to a world filled with lazy summer days, Louisiana bayous, vintage party dresses, conversations sprinkled with creole, spanish moss-draped trees, voodoo and beautiful lush scenery.  It just pulls you in.  Now let’s be clear, this is not some life-altering, I must now go out and save the world type movie.  For me, each time I watch it, it’s like a journey to another time, another realm.

Eve’s Bayou is a coming of age story of a 10 year old girl in 1962 Louisiana.  The movie tells the story of the Batiste family – a wealthy, educated Louisiana family who are the descendants of the slave woman for whom the town in which they live was named.  Louis Batiste, the family patriarch, is the town’s doctor who has a loving and gorgeous wife, beautiful children and a weakness for women.  Louis’s undoing is told as seen through the eyes of his 10 year old daughter Eve.

Aside from a powerhouse cast of Samuel L. Jackson, Lynn Whitfield, Debbi Morgan, Diahann Carroll, and a young Jurnee Smollett to name a few, the women in this film are just awesome!  Proud, beautiful, elegant and regal, even in the most vulnerable of times.  The women are just so… lady-like.  The period costumes make me want to run out to the thrift store to look for vintage dresses – seriously.  And then there’s that spiritual, mystical underlying element that’s always there.
Although release in 1997, this one is a must see classic.  I can’t begin to tell you how many times I’ve watched this movie – and can sit engrossed as if I’ve never seen it before.

For your viewing pleasure, the following is the trailer for Eve’s Bayou.

What about you?  Have you ever seen Eve’s Bayou?  What’s your favorite movie?

September Sapphire Blog Challenge PromptWhich book and/or movie has affected you like no other? How? Why?

19 Comments on The Lure of Eve’s Bayou

1. Joi @ Rx Fitness Lady
    September 4, 2013 at 5:33 pm (4 years ago)

Hi Kennie! This is a favorite of mine as well. Journey played that role way back when. It’s a great travel back in time,,,,I agree. I don’t know how many times I’ve seen it either. I love your blog name btw. Beignets are so delish!!! Happy to be doing the challenge together.

September 4, 2013 at 6:53 pm (4 years ago)

Hi Joi! Journey was such a little girl then – and an excellent actress! Because I like the movie so much, it’s hard for me not to always associate her with that role. I was surprised to see her on True Blood this season. Thanks for stopping by!

• Cheyanne
        May 2, 2016 at 1:17 pm (2 years ago)

Gee wiikllers, that’s such a great post!

• online car insurance
        June 5, 2016 at 5:02 am (1 year ago)

Salafi och Wahabi är samma sak. Salafi är benämningen som wahabiterna själva använder pÃ¥ sig själva, men bland majoriteten av muslimerna är wahabiterna just kända som wahabiter. Deras största inspirationer är Ibn Tammiyya, en lärd frÃ¥n medeltiden och Muhammed bin abd al Wahab, en man som dök upp pÃ¥ 1700 talet. Salafiterna tror att de följer de första tre ”salaf” generationerna. De tre första ”fromma” generationerna.

August 9, 2016 at 11:30 am (1 year ago)

Barbara Hennings – Me faltan palabras para describir todo lo que estas fotos reflejan aparte del inmenso amor que los une, son la pareja mas maravillosa que conozco y se que con el paso de los años su amor se hara mas fuerte… mil bendiciones para los dos! los adoro!Piero, eres EL SEÑOR DE LA FOTOGRAFIA, impecable tu trabajo! sigue tal cual eres y llegaras mucho mas lejos de lo que ya estas. Exitos para ti!

November 15, 2016 at 7:30 am (1 year ago)

salam.memang la kita boleh bersuara atau menyuarakan pendapat di Malaysia ni,tp sebelum bercakap tu fikir2kanlah dulu,lagi2 hal2 yg boleh menyentuh sensitiviti masyarakat.kalau dah bab mghina ngeri org len tu tak sensitif ke?sultan apatah lagi..lepas ni nak lepas cakap pasal ape pula?melayu,islam,malaysia,bgsa lain,…???

December 30, 2016 at 2:50 am (11 months ago)

no właśnie dałam tyle mąki , a powiedz mi czy klejące takie tez przy krojeniu, chodzi mi o to ze nie będzie miał konsystencji normalnych kopytek tak, bo może wszystko było dobrze a ja nie potzrebnie panikuje , jak próbowałam wyrobić walec to mi sie kleiło

• haus kredit zins
        February 7, 2017 at 4:22 pm (9 months ago)

of Lori & Jarrod’s  beautiful wedding day. I had so much fun with Lori & Jarrod on their engagement shoot, so I knew that their wedding day would be one to

• stiftung warentest schweizer kredit
        February 16, 2017 at 3:11 pm (9 months ago)

今晚藍月 今年最大滿月【聯合報╱記者蔡永彬/台北報導】2010.01.30今年元旦正逢滿月,第一道日出前還有月偏食景象。今晚是這個月的第二次滿月,叫作「藍月」(Blue Moon)。這次滿月也是今年十三個滿月中,可以看到的最大滿月。中央氣象局天文站技士鄭振豐說,大約一百五十年前,因森林火災或火山爆發所造成的灰塵或煙霧瀰漫在地球的高層大氣,當月光穿過時,紅色光被散射,藍色光則受到的影響較少,所以那個時候的月亮看起來有些偏藍,但現代已經很難真的看到「藍色的月亮」了。鄭振豐提到,今晚的月亮是今年肉眼可見的最大滿月。因為當時月球位置剛好在繞地球公轉軌道的「近地點」附近,月亮看起來會大一些。

February 18, 2017 at 8:03 pm (9 months ago)

We definitely are supportive. This community is beautiful and filled with compassionate people that really enjoy making a difference. I’m sorry she felt that way but I’m glad she was the only one. Thank you for trusting me Angie and thanks for expressing support for Jessica.

September 4, 2013 at 6:39 pm (4 years ago)

I have a true fondness for this movie because I auditioned for it all those years ago. At the time, of course, no one knew it would become the classic that it is. I didn’t land a part, but a few of my friends did. Growing up in Baton Rouge, I had the pleasure of meeting Lynn Whitfield’s father because of his involvement with theater. Lynn went to high school with my mother’s sister. Randy Jackson was there then too. I will always remember Jurnee and Meagan as those young girls although they are married women now. Great post, Kennie!

September 4, 2013 at 6:56 pm (4 years ago)

Now THAT’S a cool story! I like Lynn Whitfield. She has played so many diverse roles. There’s so much more movie filming going on in Louisiana now. Do you still do any auditions at all?

• Kimberly H. Smith
      September 5, 2013 at 8:04 pm (4 years ago)

I haven’t done any auditions or acting since the late ’90s. But when Tyler Perry and Oprah Winfrey adapt my novel (soon to be released) for a screenplay, I will be playing the leading role. LOL. I’m only half joking.

3. Small Talk Mama
    September 4, 2013 at 6:48 pm (4 years ago)

I have not seen this movie, but it sounds excellent. I’ll have to give it a go.

September 4, 2013 at 6:57 pm (4 years ago)

It’s definitely a must see! Check it out, I think you’ll like it!

4. Amy Boyington
    September 4, 2013 at 7:52 pm (4 years ago)

I haven’t heard of this movie, but it sounds great. I LOVE movies from earlier time periods that truly feel genuine and make me want to live back then!

5. Sarah @Snow Globe Saken
    September 5, 2013 at 1:49 am (4 years ago)

I have not seen this movie but your description sounds wonderful. I will be renting it this weekend for sure.

6. Mocadeaux
    September 5, 2013 at 3:31 am (4 years ago)

I haven’t seen the film but with that cast it must be awesome! I will definitely check it out!