Source

When I first saw that today’s post was supposed to be a controversial topic, I was like “YES!”  I had it all in my head what I was going to say, but then when I started writing, I was like, “Do I really want to do this?”  Some folks will fight you when you talk about “Pastor”.  Oh well, I can’t chicken out now.  Just a disclaimer before I begin, I am NOT bashing anyone or any church in particular.  I am writing about things that I have seen and heard with my own eyes and ears.

Have you ever gone to a church and the pastor pulls up in a new Bentley, while a good portion of the congregation is using public transportation to get there?
Have you ever gone to a church and was told you were robbing God if you did not tithe 10% of your Gross income?
Have you ever gone to a church and the pastor announces a special offering to help pay off the note on his the church’s new airplane?
Have you ever gone to a church and heard the saying, “If you take care of the man of God, then God will take care of you.”
Well, I’ve heard and witnessed each one of these things.

Now, where you worship is your choice.  If Pastor Rolls Royce can deliver a sermon that gets through to you like no one else, then that’s the place for you.  My message here is, in everything you do, use wisdom.  There are many people out there that are going into debt because they are being fed messages laced with guilt and fear as it pertains to tithing 10%.  I know, I’ve been there.

Now lets be clear, I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH TITHING.  (Please re-read that last sentence if necessary.)  However, if tithing 10% of your income means that your rent will not get paid, or your lights will get cut off, then it’s time for you to reevaluate the situation.

I have known church members who began to dip into, and eventually drain their savings in an effort to keep up with the 10% tithing.  My point is, tithe what you can afford, until you are able to do more – that’s if you want to.  Tithe because you truly want to, not because you’re hoping that your tithe is going to turn into a brand new Mercedes, just like Pastor’s.  Tithe because you want to, not because someone is calling you a robber or a thief if you can’t or don’t tithe 10%.  Do not let someone guilt trip you into the poor house!

Remember, in everything you do, use wisdom.

Rx Fitness Lady Blog Challenge:  Tuesday Controversial Post

22 Comments on Bring Ye All the Tithes…

1. Alison
    September 17, 2013 at 4:56 pm (4 years ago)

Amen, sis. The “money bullying” that goes on at some churches is shameful. I’m a tither and a giver, but I believe many churches manipulate people into giving, telling them that it is a matter of faith. All the while, the people are catching hell financially. I’ve walked away from a church that made some crazy claims on its members financially. Glad to be free. I’m still tithing and giving, but with a lot more clarity of thought and, yes, wisdom. 😉

September 17, 2013 at 7:48 pm (4 years ago)

You said it correctly, “money bullying”! It’s bad enough when you have folks that are trying to keep up with the Joneses, but this is a whole new issue. I walked away from a church when I began to realize that nearly every sermon pertained to gaining financial wealth – and giving.

2. VITA Train for Life
    September 17, 2013 at 5:51 pm (4 years ago)

I agree wholeheartedly! I have never been a part of a church that does this but I’ve heard about it and it seems like out right robbery to me!!! There’s a special place in hell for those who steal “in the name of God!”

September 17, 2013 at 7:49 pm (4 years ago)

One thing that I could never understand, as a Pastor, how can you sleep at night? You have members that are poor and struggling, while you’re living a lavish lifestyle as a result of the member’s contribution. I’ve been in a service where the Pastor believed that the members did not contribute enough in the offering and actually called for another offering! And this was after he “told us off” about it!

3. Joi @ Rx Fitness Lady
    September 17, 2013 at 7:23 pm (4 years ago)

Girl, I can’t deal with these kind of Pastor’s. I have been around some great men of God and I choose not to fellowship with congregations led by leaders like this. I tithe because I’m a believer. I have to say in the spirit of controversy though, that people need to live within their means. Whatever you have been blessed with is the type of lifestyle you should be living. One should not be choosing between paying rent and tithes. Your rent should match your income. If you don’t have income, God doesn’t expect you to tithe. We have to be good stewards of what we have when we are blessed with any amount.

Great #MBC post Kennie! Thanks for participating.

September 17, 2013 at 7:47 pm (4 years ago)

You said it! We have to be good stewards of what we have! True, you should not be choosing between paying rent and tithes. I remember during a “New Members Class” that I was attending, a young man raised this very issue. He asked, “What if paying my tithes does not leave me with enough to pay my bills?” Don’t you know he was told that he still needed to go on and tithe 10%, and have faith that God would provide him with the extra he needed??? I should have run for the hills at that point, but it took me a few more months to catch on.

• Joi @ Rx Fitness Lady
      September 18, 2013 at 9:03 pm (4 years ago)

Yeah, because a person with good sense would have tried to help that young man figure out WHY HE DIDN”T HAVE THE MONEY! Sometimes, even churches only see dollar signs. Dangerous being under sideways leadership, I tell you. It scares me!

4. Veronica Smith
    September 17, 2013 at 11:14 pm (4 years ago)

Girl say it! There was a church I attended whenI first came to NYC and I liked it, actually I LOVED it till the minister stood in the pulpit and expressed his anger over offering goals not being met. I was sooo disappointed. I am a giver and tither (not regularly tho—battling with it) But I must say when I tithed, things always worked out. But I am gal that lives within her means which makes makes tithing possible.

September 18, 2013 at 2:41 pm (4 years ago)

I’ve witnessed the anger over the offering thing. I was literally in shock. Now I don’t know how much was collected the first time around, but apparently he didn’t think it was enough. The boldness of some of these ministers is just unbelievable.

• Mitchell
        May 2, 2016 at 10:25 am (2 years ago)

Unfortunately, they have to count. This isn’t the NCAA, where records, acsipmloshmentc, stats, etc. are revoked decades later.This is the pros, where the city of Boston has set an example to kids that cheaters, in fact, to prosper.I mean, seriously, are we just going to officially say that Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens never played in the Majors? Are we just going to leave the champion column of the 2004 and 2007 World Series and Super Bowl 36, 38 and 39 blank?In an ethical fantasy world, of course the records shouldn’t count. But in reality, what realistically can you do?

• car insurance
        June 4, 2016 at 4:45 pm (1 year ago)

The new Zune shiny blue gloves free browser is surprisingly good, but not as good as the iPod’s. It works well, but isn’t as fast as Safari, and has a clunkier interface. If you occasionally plan on using the web browser that’s not an issue, but if you’re planning to browse the web alot from your PMP then the iPod’s larger screen and better browser may be important.

• car insurance quotes
        June 5, 2016 at 8:14 am (1 year ago)

I got a chill when I read “Now, would you like to go home with me, to finish the talk? Good, ice-cream on the way?” and realized that the monster had been sweet-talking this guy the whole time. You really didn’t need to spell it out or end the story with a “now I’m gonna eatcha!” I feel like it cheapened it. I did love the vivid description of the pustules and stuff, and the eyes set too far up on its forehead. I can easily picture it, and it’s not fun.VA:F [1.9.21_1169](from 5 votes)

• versicherung für verspätete oder verpasste flüge
        February 5, 2017 at 6:36 pm (10 months ago)

Hei- fiiiineste bloggen…- hvor henter du din inspirasjon til hjemmet ditt?- hvilke interiørmagasiner leser du og hvilke blogger?- jeg som er guttemamma vil gjerne se litt mer gutteklær og gutterom- hvor har du ditt spisebord fra? og er Eames-stolene lave i sittehøyden i forhold til bordet?Stor takk til deg fordi du deler din hverdag med oss. Du er mitt daglige lille høydepunkt og en stor inspirator!Klem fra Norge: Maria

• privatkredit privat kredit vergleich check24
        February 12, 2017 at 6:11 pm (9 months ago)

“Decades later after the “The School of the South” Manifesto Neoconcreto (Neo-Concrete Manifesto) was published in the Sunday Supplement of the Jornal do Brasil newspaper in 1959.”Can you imagine such a thing happening here and now? That a major newspaper would consider the ideas of artists important enough to let them publish a manifesto in their pages is unimaginable now. Art now exists in its own little bubble, coming into contact with the broader public on when auction results are announced.

March 27, 2017 at 1:35 pm (8 months ago)

I’m not sure if this is what Nick meant by “dual audience”, but there is also the issue that normal blog comments can comment on each other, not just on the original posting, and thus allow a genuine discussion to occur. The return to a “letters to the editor” type feedback system removes this, which seems a great step backwards.

5. Be-Quoted.com
    September 18, 2013 at 12:53 am (4 years ago)

Ooooohhhh wee!!!! I know some folks who will be shouting blasphemy right now. I totally understand you. I love that you warn all to use wisdom. Much needed. Awesome, awesome post! #mbc

September 18, 2013 at 2:43 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you! You know there are folks that will defend this madness to no end. They will come up with every excuse in the book as to why this type of behavior is okay, and then they’ll turn around and call you every name but a child of God!

6. Mimi
    September 18, 2013 at 3:45 am (4 years ago)

Girl. I’m not even. For this very reason right now we have been out of a church home. I need to know my tithes are going to help needy people in my community NOT to fattening the pockets of a pastor. I just can’t and I don’t care who has something to say about it.

September 18, 2013 at 3:08 pm (4 years ago)

I do understand. I attend church; however, I am no longer a MEMBER of any particular church because of stuff like this. I send my tithes to my mom’s church back home in New Orleans. It amazes me how people will get so upset when you talk about these minsters and their money tactics.

7. Carica
    September 18, 2013 at 12:43 pm (4 years ago)

Can we sit down and talk? Please! Let’s pour the tea, honey. This is the main reason I walked away from my previous church of seven years. Once you grow in wisdom & maturity, you begin to see “something’s not right”. I want to see the money that God blessed me with be used for good use. How can the pastor drive a Jag, when the bathroom is falling apart? Or worse, members are losing houses, cars, and can’t put food in their fridge. Crazy. Love the post. It’s a been there done that for me. I am a tither, I know God honors and blesses it, but I will only tithe in good soil…a good place.

September 18, 2013 at 4:31 pm (4 years ago)

Lord, the stuff I’ve seen… I think people get so caught up with the feel good money messages, and the dreams that they too will be driving a Jag and wearing St. John, that they don’t really “see” what’s going on around them. And when they do begin to notice little things here and there, there’s always the reinforcement messages to pull them back in. I agree, tithing in good soil is so important!

8. kita
    September 20, 2013 at 1:36 pm (4 years ago)

My mom was the type to pay 10 dollars a month and when she got her yearly sheet of tithes it would say 120 dollars for the entire year. She never paid more nor paid less for as long as I can remember. We went to a church and joined as soon as we joined they started hitting us up and we left do not beg me for money. That is why I attend bedside baptist.