As I raise my child, one of the things that are important to me are manners.  Growing up in the 70’s and in the South, we were taught to not only be polite, but to also be respectful of others.  Now what I would like to know is what happened???

As I make my daily public transportation commute to work, I often see young people (high school, jr. high students) acting as if they’ve lost their minds!  Can you say no home training???  From excessive foul language to the disregard of elders, I’ve seen and heard some things that have left me speechless.  Being considerate and respectful (of others and of yourself) was very important when I was coming along.  But what happens when the questionable behavior comes from an adult? Gasp!  Yeah, you thought this post was about the kids, huh?  Well let me explain… One evening aboard a crowded standing-room-only metro train, a very pregnant woman boarded with her family.  Well it just so happens that Mama-to-Be landed right in front of the seats generally reserved for those needing assistance.  Occupying those seats was an older woman and closest to MTB was a young business man (mid to late 30s).  Well after a minute passed the older woman reaches past the young man (who is totally unmoved by the big pregnant belly in his face) and offers MTB her seat. I think we all stood there and gave him the evil eye to which he replied by faking sleep.
Unfortunately this is not the first time I’ve seen this exact scenario play out.  There have been times that I’ve given up my seat to a pregnant woman while the men just sat there and looked.  Mind you these are not always YOUNG men; some of these folks are well past grown, acting like they dont know any better.  Does home-training gradually fade away the older you get?  Are we so consumed with ourselves that we really don’t care about what’s going on around us, or right in our face?  If that’s the case, no wonder today’s youth behave the way they do – look at the parental example!

As my little one grows older I would like to teach her that respectable young men will in fact hold the door open for you, they will offer their seat to someone in need, they will respect their elders, they will come and knock on your door instead of pulling up and blowing their car horn for you to come out.  And when dropping you off, they will wait to make sure you’ve made it in your home safely before driving away.  Better yet, they’ll walk you to your door.  (Although lip-locking on my front porch had better NOT be happening!)  I would like to teach her these things, and I will, but I will also have to teach her the realization that many folks don’t do those things because they haven’t been TAUGHT to do them, or to expect those things from others.  There was a time when this was the rule, not the exception.  All I want to know is what happened???

~Kennie

14 Comments on Did Your Mama Teach You Any Manners?!?!

1. Sarah
    September 23, 2013 at 3:19 am (4 years ago)

You are so right! I have more then once been floored ny the lack of manners kids and even adults have. I was raised with manners and my son has been to.

September 24, 2013 at 12:46 pm (4 years ago)

Sarah, I just don’t get it. When did acting like you have no home-training become okay? I’m pretty sure some of these adults have been raised with manners too. I would just like to know what happened???

2. Joi @ Rx Fitness Lady
    September 23, 2013 at 5:06 pm (4 years ago)

I can’t stand people walking around with no home training; adults and children. It aggravates me more when men are not gentlemen, it’s so annoying! It’s like, what woman wants to spend any time with this faggot! Sorry for the lingo!

September 24, 2013 at 12:54 pm (4 years ago)

Exactly! Some of these men act like they have no clue. Who raised these fools? Do you know how many times I’ve gone to the mall, pushing a stroller, and the automatic doors weren’t working and guys just stood there and watched me struggle to get in??? By the time I get through the door I’m so pissed I could cuss them out – and I don’t even curse!

3. Mocadeaux
    September 24, 2013 at 4:40 am (4 years ago)

When people pretend to not notice or pretend to be sleeping rather than do the right thing, who do they think they are fooling? Bad manners in any form is unacceptable.

September 24, 2013 at 12:58 pm (4 years ago)

I agree Mocadeaux. It’s as if some folks’ moral compass is just broken. These days I think I am more surprised when I see people displaying good manners towards others – which is really sad.

• Gertie
      May 2, 2016 at 4:56 pm (1 year ago)

Dear Ralph Musgrave (at 2012/02/20 at 21:42)There was no mistake in what Randy wrote. Steve (at 2012/02/21 at 17:53) has dealt with this well.Saving is always a flow in maocoecrnomics. The stock that results from that flow is financial wealth.Steve Waldeman is also incorrect for the same reason.best wishesbill

July 24, 2016 at 12:47 am (1 year ago)

Carol Carvalho disse:olá ,meu nome é carol,sou uma baiana ,residente no semi-árido,em 2008 termino minha graduação em bacharel em enfermagem,estudo na FASB,com o pro-uni,por isso tenho muita vontade de participar do projeto,além de trazer uma esperiência nova de vida, posso dar minha contra partida do grande privilégio que tive de ser uma aluna beneficiada pelo Prouni.

• sparkasse mastercard sperren lassen
      October 22, 2016 at 4:23 pm (10 months ago)

Cela fait des décennies et des décennies que la Cour des Comptes ne cesse de faire le même constat. Mais, ses recommandations ne sont pas contraignantes. Quant au politique, il doit savoir ménager la…chèvre et le chou !Cela me rappelle une déclaration de Jean-Claude Junker, Premier ministre luxembourgeois et président de l’Eurogroupe :  » Nous savons comment faire pour redresser une situation économique, mais par la suite, nous ne savons comment faire pour être réélu ».Demandez à Gerhard Schrödrer ce qu’il en pense ?

October 22, 2016 at 8:22 pm (10 months ago)

It’s good to get a fresh way of looking at it.

• como calcular los interes de un prestamo hipotecario
      October 25, 2016 at 8:39 pm (10 months ago)

La secrétaire = sténo-dactylo (réservé à ces dames)Le secrétaire = poste à haute responsabilité (en principe réservé à ces messieurs, alors ces dames qui y accèdent préfèrent garder le masculin, pas qu’on aille croire que Martine ou Ségolène ne soit là que pour rédiger les discours des Dominique, Laurent et autre Bertrand…)Bravo pour les desseins, toujours dans le vrai.

November 4, 2016 at 3:16 am (10 months ago)

I love hearing about your staples!! Mine are very similar. Are seaweed snacks worth it?! I’ve always seen them, but I never buy them beause I am skeptical!

• neue lebensversicherung ag hamburg
      November 5, 2016 at 6:37 am (10 months ago)

Bocs'- ( de csak-csak kb. 03 órától "adásban vagyok"…)-és szót sem, hogy 08 órakor terveztem volna a kilépést…OK! – igyekszem jól beírni a linket % Bocs' Kimaradt : tévedések "vígjátéka" ?- mintha légpuskával is meglÅ‘tte volna egyik rokonomat a gyermekem ?- )de az is más történet) – lehetne ! Sok hibáért, melléütésért elnézést ! – ill. bocs' ! *********************************Kimegyek a KUKA-ért (most) – és egy kis idÅ‘re "visszavonulnék!"

December 30, 2016 at 4:34 pm (8 months ago)

I can’t believe you’re not playing with me–that was so helpful.